Monday, August 21, 2017

Week Forty Nine

Week report

FIRST THINGS FIRST

Happy birthday Olive. Can't believe you're already 12!!

Miss you a ton here Olive.

This week was cool.

Transfers were pretty awesome. I got to be with Elder Lewis (from my Mexico MTC group). We were given freedom to do whatever we wanted our last 2 days in Bogota. First day we both said goodbyes to different families. Had some tough goodbyes. Leaving Barbosa was nowhere near as hard. Saying goodbye to the Castellanos family felt like a part of me died.

On the second day, we didn't have as much time. SO WE WENT TO THE INDIGENOUS VILLAGE. I had a bit of trouble remembering the way, but we made it. Cota is super pretty.

Then we ate lunch at McDonalds back in Bogota and tried out a McDonalds VR experience.

Then went to Bogota train terminal. Lots of missionaries there. Lots of greenies. Everyone going to different places. Assistants were there too. Elder Picuasi is the new AP. He was my first ZL. He's from Otavalo and has a ponytail. Super cool guy. I bussed to Bucaramanga with some new elders from Ecuador. All of them had tons of questions. I was way tired.

The Mummy was playing on the bus but I didn't want to give a bad example watching it lol. The bus passed through Tunja and Barbosa on the way. Cool to see those areas where I spent so much time. We got to Bucaramanga at 4am. 6 missionaries were waiting there including my new comp Elder Knight, and one of my best mission friends Elder Crandell. We got everyone loaded up and Elder Knight and I headed to our apartment.

OK so my new area is crazy. Favorite so far. Our apartment feels like Florida. There are pools everywhere.

Loved my last area. I knew EVERY STREET. But it was grey all the time and just dirty. That stuff really has an effect on your energy. Bucaramanga is so green. All these huge mountains and jungle. Super bright. The sun is hotter but doesn't burn as bad as Bogota (Bogota has way higher elevation). It's tricked my brain into thinking I'm on vacation. It feels like that.

Also dope that I'm with Elder Knight. He goes home this transfer. We have epic breakfasts. Pancakes, tons of bacon, arepas, eggs, everything. Elder Knight is a pro motocross racer. He's gone to Italy, Germany and Argentina for races so he's way cooler than me.

This week we just went around everywhere in the area meeting people.

Tons of hills and so much sweat. Some of the coolest days of my mission though. People are way more open here. So easy to get into houses and meet families.

Elder Karren (first MTC comp) is my district leader here! Saw him today. Such a funny dude.

Trying to think of other stuff.

Really like testing out different ways of teaching. I feel like I'm getting better at controlling my words and timing, but still have a ton to improve. I keep joking that the mission has helped me a ton with talking to girls.

Our bishop is awesome. He's from Venezuala and has hand tats. We had a ward activity where we dressed up Luis- this recent convert as a hobo. We sat him outside the entrance of the chapel. All the members arrive and enter, of course nobody gives him anything. The members get inside and we teach a message about service and the Good Samaritan. Then the fake hobo comes in and sits behind everyone. Bishop calls him up. Everyone gasps. He takes off his disguise. Bishop asked him, "How did you feel?" He said, "REJECTED."Then one member lady stood up and shouted "I BOUGHT HIM FOOD!!" It was insane. But the activity was so funny.

Anyway things going good. Miss you guys. Hope this week is awesome

Elder Blair