Monday, January 30, 2017

Week Twenty

Every week I look in my inbox and all I see is trump trump trump.

We had a zone meeting where we watched announcements relating to the LDS missionary effort. The daily schedule for missionaries changed which was pretty big news. Planning in morning instead of night, stuff like that. The key indicators we report also changed. They are making new Preach My Gospels and planners. A lot of change.

There is a growing tension in the Barbosa branch- because of the threat of closing. We find out if they are shutting down the branch on Feb 12. We had a branch council and it was so out of hand. Everyone was complaining to president for about an hour. Then he finally stood up and said, "I am so tired,” and roasted everyone. Elder Manrique and I are feeling pressure to do anything we can.

We got a packet with all the info of the members of the branch. This week we have been searching down different addresses. There are tons of less actives in Barbosa. Many times the address leads us to a pile of rocks.

Most of the mission is just walking, and a lot of times you forget where you’re going or get lost in deep thought, but somehow you still arrive. You’re not really consuming the environment you’re just absorbing it.

The other half of the mission seems to be opening your mouth. And its kind of the hardest part. The default is everybody waiting for someone else to do the dirty work (move from small talk to the lesson, contact passerbys, offer the prayer, invite to church), and pretty much I’m starting to realize that that’s what it is, opening your mouth, getting s done. And it’s not hard, it’s just not the default.

Yeah, I really like our investigators. I really like the Branch.

Barbosa is a town with deep roots; you meet really old people who have never been anywhere else. Beating heat, soda, packs of dogs, packs of kids, 3 million motorbikes, and 100 year old cowboy veterans. Barbosa makes me believe in ghosts. I don’t think it will ever change.

and thus it is written

with love,
Elder Blair