Monday, January 8, 2018

Week Sixty Nine

2018 started off with a BANG.

We found some sweet people this week.

We stopped a señor named CESAR MARTINEZ walking down the street. He is from VALLEDUPAR which is a notable city in Colombia. It counts as a coastal city even though it's not on the coast — because the coastal culture comes from there. People from the coast (saying the word coast a lot) are really relaxed, speak really fast and listen to Vallenato (I sent you guys a cd of it — accordion music).

Anyway, Cesar had missionaries visiting his family when he was like 5 and has been reading a book of Mormon for the past 30 years without knowing what it was.

We also met Bridgit Yordan who is a half German half Colombian veterinarian. She told us about a book, "Las Venas Abiertas de LatinaAmerica," and she eats raw aloe vera with honey. We taught her with her dad. It was a crazy lesson with lots of shouting.

One of my good friends here is Osvaldo Bracho. He is from Maracaibo, Venezuela. People from Maracaibo love me because I learned the slang from there. I met Osvaldo back in the summer before I left to Bucaramanga and now he lives in my area. He always puts carrots or random food in my pocket and tell everybody I'm stealing, haha.

Love being comps with Elder Richey. He loves contacting too so we talk with everybody.
This dude tried to rob his bag on Sunday but saw that it just had scriptures, haha.

P.S. Found a crazy family. The Perez Family. We taught them the Book of Mormon and the dad was like, "I know this might be too much to ask, but could I get my own book? We want to read it as a family but I also want my own book to study."

Some scriptures I liked this week are:

Daniel 2:22
He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.

DYC 6:21
Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I am the same that came unto mine own, and mine own received me not. I am the light which shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Still loving Suba. My district is 3 gringos and a Brazillian. In the mission we have to choose an English teacher in every district and the Brazillian is our English teacher. Elder Oliveira.

Miss you guys and love you.
Elder Blair